Answers to Your Questions about Mold
At Indoor Green Solutions, it is our goal to ensure your home or commercial building is safe and mold-free. We offer various mold removal services using green products to further guarantee you and your coworkers or family members are safe during the mold removal process. Below, our mold removal experts answered some of our customers’ frequently asked questions.
Are all forms of mold harmful?
No, not all molds are harmful. In fact, only a few molds can seriously hinder a human's immune system. Some molds can cause infections in people who have compromised immune systems. Those who have asthma also tend to suffer from mold problems more than those who do not have asthma.
Are there certain building materials / designs that can help prevent mold growth?
Again, since mold is attracted to moist environments, specific building materials and designs cannot necessarily prevent mold growth. Wherever you have a constant leak or form of moisture, mold can grow in your building. If your building is not well-ventilated, mold can grow at a rapid rate.
Can I prevent mold from growing in my home or building?
While mold spores are present almost everywhere, it is possible to help prevent mold from growing in your home or building. Since mold is attracted to moist environments, it is imperative you resolve any leaks or moisture problems within your facility before mold can start to grow. If you notice you have a leak or moisture issue, call the experts at Indoor Green Solutions to inspect the area and perform water restoration services.
Do I need to have mold taken from my home tested or sampled?
If mold growth is visible, sampling may be unnecessary. Since the EPA does not have any set limits for mold or mold spores, sampling can't be used to check your building's compliance with federal mold standards.
How can I get rid of mold?
Since you may not be aware of what type of mold is growing in your home, we highly recommend hiring mold removal experts to remove mold from your home. We cannot only remove the mold, but resolve the problem causing the mold to grow.
If mold is growing in a small space in your home such a three feet by three feet area, you may be able to remove the mold yourself. The key to mold removal is removing the source of moisture the mold is feeding on. Scrub the mold off hard surfaces using detergent and water and thoroughly dry the surface. Fix all plumbing leaks and other present water problems to avoid needing to scrub the hard surface again. If any porous material has mold growth on it, it should be thrown away and replaced.
How much mold exposure is harmful to humans?
There is no definite answer to this question. Since individuals react differently to mold, some people can tolerate mold more than others. Children under the age of one year can be more susceptible to the negative effects of mold, while older individuals may not experience any issues with mold or mold spores.
Should I have the air ducts in my home cleaned?
If you believe you have moisture problems or water damage in your air ducts, we advise having them cleaned to ensure you do not have mold or mold spores in said ducts. It is also advised you have your air ducts cleaned if they are not accessible for visible inspection.
What are biological pollutants and can they affect indoor air quality?
Biological pollutants are objects such as bacteria, molds, mildew, viruses, animal dander, cat saliva, house dust, mites, cockroaches, and pollen. All these things can negatively affect your indoor air quality, as they are contaminants and can cause serious health problems. By controlling the humidity level in your home, you can curb the growth of some biological contaminants.
What are important things to know about mold?
It is important to know the following when dealing with mold:
- It can cause health problems
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores—but you can control it
- If you have mold, you must locate the source of moisture and have the mold removed
- Reduce indoor humidity to decrease mold growth—you can also vent your bathroom, dryer, and other moisture-generating sources to outside your home
- Clean wet surfaces or building materials to avoid mold growth
- Prevent condensation, Do not install carpeting by sources of constant moisture
- Mold can be found nearly everywhere moisture is present
What causes mold to grow in my home?
Mold can grow in your home for various reasons. It is a part of our natural environment, but is attracted to moist, warm environments. Molds reproduce via tiny spores, which are invisible to the naked eye. These spores can cause serious health repercussions in those who inhale them.
What if I have mold in a large building?
If you have mold in your building, we suggest you start with the Indoor Air Quality Building Evaluation and Assessment Model. This can help you determine how to best remove mold from your building via the EPA's existing Building Air Quality guidelines.
What kind of health problems can mold cause?
Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in extreme cases, potentially toxic substances called mycotoxins. If you inhale or touch mold or mold spores, you may suffer from an allergic reaction. Said symptoms of an allergic reaction include sneezing, running nose, red eyes, and a skin rash. People who have asthma can also suffer from mold-induced asthma attacks.